Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Technology and Learning

Does the use of technology in the classroom actually increase student learning?

I think that the answer to this question can be a bit subjective. The use of technology does make "the world" accessible in an instant. However, technology can be distracting. I do know for a fact that if the use of technology in the classroom in not monitored carefully it can easily take away from the learning environment, not only for the child on the technology, but for their peers as well.

From my own personal experience, I find that carefully monitored use of technology can be helpful and beneficial in the classroom. As a child growing up there were not nearly as many technological options as there are today. Now that I am an "adult" and in college, I have found that technology is very helpful for my studies, I can research so much in an instant, I can collaborate with others to help with my lesson plans, and I have found so many neat and creative things to put into my lesson plans that use technology; things that just bring the lesson to life so much more.

There are my ponderings on the topic of technology being beneficial to a child's learning. I think if it is used appropriately it can be very helpful, it certainly has been beneficial to mine!

Melynda

4 comments:

  1. Melynda, You are so right with the internet very easily becoming a distraction if it isn't monitored or limited! I find myself all to often scrolling Pintrest When I should be working on a paper... haha But It's so true we have the world at our fingertips too! I love going to YouTube and looking up videos pertaining to my lesson plans or googling resources for papers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's crazy how quickly technology has changed and is changing our school system!! We were literally just in school a few years ago and it is nearly unrecognizable to me now. I go to visit my little sibling's class projects and I am met at the door by electronic screening and won't be allowed in without my I.D. My youngest sibling is in third grade and she has never come home with homework in a folder ever. All the homework she has ever received in her lifetime has been online. Seriously. I can't imagine it. And it puts so much pressure and strain on kids who come from a lower socio-economic class who do not always have easy access to a computer or an internet connection. How quickly technology has changed is frightening sometimes. I am glad that there are also so many good things that it has done and can do in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You said, "From my own personal experience, I find that carefully monitored use of technology can be helpful and beneficial in the classroom." Can you give an example of an observation you have made in which technology was carefully monitored? How did the teacher intentionally do that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melynda,
    I completely agree with your statement, "if the use of technology in the classroom in not monitored carefully it can easily take away from the learning environment, not only for the child on the technology, but for their peers as well". As early as 4th or 5th grade, I can remember classmates getting in trouble for bringing their GameBoys or other handheld video games to school. I do not think that anyone was so bold as to bring out the video game during actual class time. However, I do not imagine this is the case today as the lines between work and play are becoming more blurred. At many classrooms I have observed in, the students use iPads for assignments and collaboration with classmates. It is probably difficult for teachers to completely define what is appropriate use of the iPad at what times during the day. Students always seem to find a way around the teacher's rules, after all ;) I know I did as a grade schooler (and sometimes still do, if I am feeling snarky!).

    ReplyDelete