Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Discovery

"Inductive, inquiry approach fosters a deeper understanding of the content."
I think that using discovery as a way of teaching/ learning could potentially be one of the most effective ways of driving home a concept (for lack of a better term).

Characteristics of discovery are: scientific method, guidance necessary, and scaffolding. 

Advantages are: 
  • Engaging
  • Repeated Steps 
  • And Student Control


Limitations are:
  • Time-factor
  • Preparation is critical
  • misunderstanding
It is possible to integrate technology using digital tools such as cameras, GPS, and videos.


I think once you give a child the chance to discover things then you give them the power over their learning. I know that as a young student when I had the chance to dive into something and get my hands dirty more often than not I was more secure in a concept than if I had simply been lectured said concept. I think that when necessary discovery should be guided (with a student with a learning disability, or a student who is not capable of manipulating the tools used); however, I think each child should have the chance to invest in their own education through discovery. 

4 comments:

  1. Melynda,
    I totally agree with you (and the text)! We need to implement more discovery into our classrooms. It seems like it has become almost an unorthodox method of teaching, though I am not sure why. After we are first born, our main method of learning is through discovery. When do we lose this sense of discovery? I would like to find out so that I may catch this sense and foster it in my students before they lose it forever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe we lose the sense of discovery when we rely on other things or develop a handicap so to speak. Before cell phones, we all had carried a little black book with phone numbers and contact information. We actually memorized phone numbers of those that are important anyone we wanted to stay in contact with. Now that we have cell phones we are no longer exercising our brains to retain this type of information. Children are given devices to do what the brain can do and are told that the device can do it better so they have bought into this propaganda. Parents also have brought many gadgets into their homes for entertainment purposes. Discovery requires critical thinking and is not fun at times for students. I believe adults can rediscover wonder and enthusiasm for discovery again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. khem, Do you think though that a child learning how to use a program on a computer is discovery learning and that the child is using critical thinking skills to learn to use the program--I have seen children do some amazing problem solving with an iPad in their hands. Is it the same skill but just looks different?

      Delete
  3. I was thinking about how discovery is used by children to investigate new apps on the iPad. It is interesting to watch the children--some just dive in and start "playing" while others are timid and waiting for instructions. Sometimes they need to wait! How can a teacher balance the desire to explore with the need for instruction?

    ReplyDelete