Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Enhancing Learning with Videos

Videos. So much comes to my mind when I use that word; and most of it is not educational. However, there is this really cool video that one of my teachers showed in class when discussing integrating music in the classroom. I have attached said video below.


Here are a couple aspects of video literacy:

1. Viewing a video- like the video posted above, viewing videos can be very effective in a classroom. There are some guiding questions to ask that address the core concepts when viewing a video. They are as follows:
         I. who created this message?
        II. what creative techniques are used to attract my attention?
       III. how might various people understand this message differently?
       IV. what values, lifestyles, and points of views are represented or omitted?
        V. what is the purpose of this message? (Jolls, 2008, p. 37)

2. producing a video- There are some guiding questions to ask that address the core concepts when viewing a video. They are as follows:
        I. What am I authorizing?
       II. Does the message reflect understanding in format, creativity, and technology?
     III. Is my message engaging and compelling for my target audience?
     IV. Have I clearly and consistently framed values, lifestyles, and points of view in my message?
      V. Have I communicated my purpose effectively? (Jolls, 2008, p. 37)


There are also different types of education videos that can be used in the classroom:
1. documentaries
2. virtual field trips (one of my favorites)
3. dramatizaton- such as Hamlet
4. video story telling

I think videos can add some depth to a lesson as long as they are used properly. If not used properly, like other visual and audio aids, I think can become distracting for some students. I think intentionality is a huge part of adding visual aids.


Resources:
www.youtube.com
Smaldino, Sharon E., Deborah l Lowther, and James D. Russell. Instructional Technology and Media for Learning. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Merrill Prentice Hall, 2008. Print.
http://foter.com

6 comments:

  1. Melynda,
    I love that you integrated a video into this post! You did it very seamlessly and I also liked that it was a video I already knew from our previous class together :)
    Also, I did have to wonder: what is the difference between a dramatization and a story telling?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have some good thoughts on videos. And you added a video too. I see what you did there. I agree that we need to be intentional about how we use videos. I'm also curious what you mean when you say they can be used in the wrong way. Do you have something in particular in mind?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tiffany,
      Have you ever sat in a lecture (for class or a sermon) and then made a point or showed a picture or a video or a song and thought "what does that have to do with any of this?" that is kind of where I was going. I think video usage has to be very intentional because if kids have that "what does this have to do with any of this?" moments then it does not enhance the classroom.

      Delete
  3. Melynda,
    I love integrating videos into my lesson plans... (maybe to much?) Also I was super excited to see the video you posted with your blog, art and music methods was a great class! I was intrigued by the lists you posted on viewing videos. creating videos and the different types of educational videos... I wonder what category School House Rock would fall under???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie,
      I have no idea what School House Rock would be under but I saw in once in school so I am sure it still has the green light to be played!

      Delete
  4. Last week I used Youtube dance video to get my kids moving. It was something that required listening and following directions, a line dance. To my surprise, it was difficult for them and some of the students felt embarrassed and did not participate. This experiment allowed me to see who is outgoing and who is actually more conservative with things like this. I wonder if they would have participated if the lights were dim? The atmosphere for showing a video has to right as well.

    ReplyDelete